When the deal is too good….
The curtains are closing in to usher the year 2013 and it definitely has been a great year. As 2012 started, there was unison of it been a great year. Having done the usual new year resolution write up, I bore in mind that they were going to come to pass. I am proud to have achieved 95% of the resolutions. In an earlier blog I had listed them down https://adanmawanji.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/the-joy-of-crossing-that-list/
Meanwhile, allow me to share the learning’s and memories of the year that was.
- I have had my spiritual moments with God and sometimes He has not made sense but the best part: He is such a gentleman ,he gives me the choice to follow Him or not
- Each of us has a sixth sense if not instincts. Now more than ever I do not ignore them, they have saved the day on one too many occasions.
- Life is about winning and losing. If I win all the time then I will miss the lesson derived from failing and doing it differently.
- Family is the only group you forgive for what you kill others for and they are here to stay
- I set the foundation on how I want people to treat me; I also don’t have to sit around and let someone devalue me
- There is a thin line between honesty and being impolite. the only difference in my experience, is a lot of us do not want to hear it in black and white
- You must be a student before you become the teacher just as you must be a servant before you become a leader; the core ingredient is humility.
- Serving others especially the less fortunate has brought on so much personal satisfaction ,its irreplaceable
- Cancer has been a big enemy for most in 2012, from a cancer scare to losing loved ones, it has also created a great awareness and helped me appreciate good health even more
- On the day I am happy, someone else will be sad, frustrated, depressed or mourning a loved one. There really never is a day that everyone is happy and it’s a fact
- There is no easy way to handle death whether it’s a loved one or someone distant, we all feel something, it’s inevitable hence only grace keeps us going
- Giving the best at my job is an obligation and duty whether my efforts are appreciated or not, after all the results will be the stepping stone to the next great job
- Expecting everyone to appreciate you for good efforts is unrealistic. There will always be those against and for you.
- Attitude is everything, every morning I wake up I chose the attitude I take with me throughout the day
- My priorities and plans are not another’s, it is up to me to make them happen lest I get disappointed waiting for someone else to fulfill them for me
- As you grow older, dreams, visions and focus tends to change and so are the people around. My list of friends has thinned but created more time for quality friendships and relationships
- Love is a virtue, a feeling, a rush but most of all it’s a choice we all have to make
- People come in to your life for different reasons and seasons, when their purpose is fulfilled, they leave or stay. If they leave make peace with yourself and don’t beat yourself about it.
- You must give in order to get. Giving generously is not always about the money its your heart, your time and what you put into that time
- Each of us has a season of growth, success, failure and frustrations. Figure out which season you are at, and don’t compare yourself with another unless its acts as a pillar of encouragement.
- Food is good for the soul and body but when abused or overdone it portrays itself in ways which we are sometimes not very proud of.
- A fast off processed food is very good for cleansing your system and rejuvenating worn out muscles and organs. This is one I will do over and over again!
- I chose to be healthy by eating right, keeping fit and indulging in the positive way of life
- Man is not an island and therefore I must accept support from time to time as I can never do it alone after all Together Everyone Achieves More!
- Delayed gratification is a great way to teach yourself that it is not a must that you obey your cravings ,wants and desires
- Tomorrow will be a better day but I have to make the effort to make that happen
There could be more to write but I believe this stood out the most.
Share the lessons ….
Looking forward to an even greater year.
I mentioned in yesterday’s post that if you feel like you ought to make a resolution this year, then that probably means you need to make a resolution.
But the word resolution is overused and not as heavy as a word I am going to propose in its stead for this post. This year, I plan on making a few New Year’s commitments. But how do you decide if it’s worth it?
You know what I mean… you resolve to lose three pounds a month and it’s December before you even realize you gave up on that back in March. But this year, let’s make deeper commitments than just meager weight loss and less video game time. Let’s examine a structure for how we can set commitments for 2013 and actually keep them.
1. Start Now
If there’s something you know you ought to change, we’ve less than a…
View original post 534 more words
It is often said that growing old is a must but growing up is an option.
I was thinking about the definition of growing up and realized there is no one size that fits all answer ,rather it’s the things that you do that signify your having graduated from one level to another. I decided to come up with my own understanding of what growing up is. Here is my list:
1. When you narrow down the list of friends you have and categorize them as true vs. fake ass friends
2. When you realize that even good friendships fade away and you are not sorry about it because you gave your best
3. You are able to say no to friends when they ask for money because you know its likely to strain relations and still keep a smile on your face
4. You are able to set your priorities right by remaining firm and polite even when friends tempt you to go for a party or spend thrift shopping that may leave you compromised
5. When your undying attachment to childhood toys is replaced by donating them to the needy and younger siblings
6. When you spend 85% of your day doing actual work and not surfing social sites
( yeah facebook won’t put food on my table)
7. You shop for real food that will keep you in the right direction of your health instead of the usual junk and soda
8. You eat food that couldn’t go down your throat a few years back because you now know the attached health benefits.
9. You begin to invest into the future by saving a certain percentage of your monthly income
10. You set a time for “me time” to be able to spend quality time for self discovery unlike before it was always hanging out with friends.
11. You realize that you have made some bad decisions ,some bad choices but somewhere along the way they have made you a better person
12. You realize that everyone is vulnerable at a different season; no one is perfect so you take and love them as they are.
13. When you go shopping ,you have a list and only purchase what is therein
14. You take up a class that uplifts you, maybe spiritual, music, fitness because you realize that life is short and time needs to be managed well
15. You realize that your relatives (even the not so nice ones) are here to stay and so you take them one at a time.
16. Communication with your parents become so much more important including their advise
17. You cook meals from scratch and clean your dishes after without whining
18. You listen to a motivational cd if you are driving and stuck in traffic or read a book when you are the passenger
19. You embrace your body more and realize that if you don’t feel good about it then its up to you to make the change
20. You take up responsibility for your mistakes and work your way to correct them
21. You declutter every little while to avoid unnecessary items in your house or office
22. You purchase a DIY(do it yourself) book instead of waiting for the handyman
23. Your mum or dad call you at different times to ask for advise
24. You find a messy house annoying
25. You cant stand loud music and the kids next door are driving you crazy
26. You actually take time to dress up for an occasion, jeans and t-shirts are not an option
27. You no longer care about winning an argument, its better to keep the peace.
28. You live on your own and pay bills on time
29. You have been heartbroken but you still keep your head help up high
30. You enjoy going to the movies on your own and enjoy it
31. You own sensible and realistic gadgets/electronics in your house
32. You call your parents and friends when you are going to visit to find out if you can pick something for them on your way to their house
33. You use Sugar and salt sparingly for health reasons
34. You always have something to do in the house and enjoy it
35. You realize your bachelors degree is not enough to raise your career prospects
36. Staying at home all day is not a punishment
37. Booze is taken in controlled amounts
38. Your spirituality is very important and you always create time.
39. You do your own laundry
40. You go to the market and even take time to read the food labels